Sunday, December 20, 2009

snow day, part 3 of 3


I made this recipe so long ago that I don't remember much of the specifics. I happened to be channel surfing one afternoon and stumbled quite accidentally upon the annoyingly cheerful Rachael Ray with her husky voice and irritating abbreviations. My visceral hatred for her 30-Minute Meals took longer than usual to kick in, and somehow I found myself watching her prepare a recipe that--gasp--I actually wanted to make!

Well, that's almost true. I saw that there was pork sausage in it and immediately wrote that out of the equation. But in the time it took me to watch her show, and for her to make a balanced meal from (cue signature sweeping hand motion) start to finish, I had effectively rewritten the recipe to suit my own tastes.

Chili sweet-potato hash
Adapted from Rachael Ray

Serves 4

Time: I forget how long it took me, but
definitely more than 30 minutes (oh, how I loathe cooking gimmicks!)

{for hash}

2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1 15-oz. can kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed

1 medium sweet potato, halved lengthwise and sliced into thin half-moons

1 medium red onion, thinly sliced

2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. ground cumin

2 tsp. ground coriander

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese


{for eggs}

1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil

4 large eggs


{optional garnishes}

Guacamole and salsa


1. Heat a large skillet with 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10-12 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Midway through the cooking (this is not scientific at all), add the beans so they can warm through and pick up flavors.


2. Transfer to serving platter, top with grated cheese and cover with foil to keep warm while you cook the eggs. *Note: If you have a cooking buddy who'll cook the eggs while you make the hash, this step is unnecessary.


3. Fry (or scramble) eggs to your liking in a preheated pan slicked with butter or olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then top hash with eggs and garnish with guac, salsa, both or neither!

No comments:

Post a Comment