Sunday, August 2, 2009

produce galore

There's no mistaking the season in my kitchen this weekend. Check out the view:


Plenty of fresh produce! It must be summer! The frying peppers and itty bitty tomatoes came from the garden of my dad's co-worker and have been reserved for tonight's dinner: turkey-sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions (a ballpark-ified, sauceless version of one of my favorite recipes) and a tomato salad. The fruit is there just because we like it.

But wait, there's more! I have been on a salad tear lately--with the weather hot and lots of yummy things in season, I've been craving fresh, crisp, cool vegetables and not much else. Which is why, when I discovered that I would be eating alone on Saturday night, I decided on a big dinner salad. If I were cooking with my family, surely someone would cry out for protein or a starch, or otherwise insist on making this a square meal. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for balanced nutrition . . . in general, most of the time. But when my tummy is growling and the growls all sound like "Veggies, please!" I know that the best thing is to simply heed the call.


Arugula, potato, green bean and walnut salad

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen's adaptation of the original from Maratha Stewart Living (August 2007)
Makes 4 small or 2 large servings

1 Tbsp. walnuts
3/4 lb. fingerling potatoes (or red skinned, if like me you can't find fingerlings), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
3 oz. haricots verts, green beans or wax beans, trimmed and cut into two-inch segments
1 Tbsp. white wine or other mild vinegar
1 Tbsp. plain yogurt
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. walnut oil
1 1/2 oz. baby arugula (or more, if you're as hungry as I was. I used about 3 oz. for two portions.)

1. Preheat toaster oven or oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Toast walnuts on a baking sheet in oven until fragrant, just a few minutes. Let cool slightly, then chop coarsely and set aside.

2. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a colander to drain and cool. Set aside.

3. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Return water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until tender and bright green. [The recipe says this should take 3-4 minutes, and I laughed at this. I cooked the beans about 45-60 seconds, and they were perfect. Do what you like, my friend.] Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to the ice-water bath to stop cooking. Drain.

4. Whisk together yogurt, mustard, salt and pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking, until emulsified.

5. Combine arugula, potatoes and green beans in a large bowl, add dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle walnuts on top, and serve.

1 comment: