Friday, March 13, 2009

potatoes poupon

While looking through the recipe box this morning to find inspiration for this weekend's meals, I came across the potatoes Poupon recipe I promised to post a few weeks ago and realized I'd failed to do so! I ran upstairs to the computer immediately to remedy this. This dish is so simple and so quick, the results are so delicious, and it feels somehow fancy, so it's perfect when having guests over (but not stressing out about making a full-blown meal for them). Because the recipe serves four, we usually have leftovers, which I like to add, either cold or reheated, into salads. Mmm!

Potatoes Poupon
[I don't have a clue where this recipe comes from. I imagine we got it off the back of some package, but when I transferred the recipe to an index card 100 years ago, I didn't write down the source.]
Time: 45-50 minutes
Serves 4

1/3 c. Grey Poupon dijon mustard (or any kind of dijon, really)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning (see note)
6 medium (about 2 lb.) red skin potatoes, cut into chunks

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a shallow baking sheet or a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with a light coating of oil, or use a nonstick pan. Set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients except potatoes in a small bowl.
3. Place potatoes in a large bowl or Ziplock bag, add mustard mixture and toss to coat potatoes.
4. Place potatoes in pan. Bake, stirring occasionally, 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.

Note about Italian seasoning
: I don't have Italian seasoning. If you are like me, you can make a mixture of basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, sage and savory (if you have it--I didn't). This list came from some emergency Googling, when I was partway through the marinade and realized I didn't have the stupid spice blend. Googling yields a bunch of opinions about what's really in Italian seasoning, so I don't know that there's a single, official definition of it. Use some or all of these, and you'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment