Wednesday, March 25, 2009

an old friend

I'm in a lunch rut. A rut defined by the same old things, day in and day out, which are things I can and do frequently make for breakfast and/or dinner as well: peanut butter sandwiches (with or without banana, honey or raisins), cottage cheese on toasted English muffins, yogurt and granola, oatmeal. I need something exciting, healthful and lightly filling to mix up my lunch routine, because recycling my breakfast menu just hasn't been satisfying me. Enter my old friend, the curried couscous salad.



While working in the retail world a few years ago, I came across the recipe while flipping through one of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks during some down time, and immediately scribbled it down on a scrap of paper to try at home. It's been probably a year or more since I last made it, and while it doesn't exactly count as a new recipe (which are the only ones I originally intended to post here), I'd forgotten how good it is. It's so much more satisfying than I expect it to be and, in terms of preparation, really quite idiot-proof. And because this is my blog, I get to make up and break the rules whenever I want!

Some notes:
  • I use fat-free strained Greek-style yogurt, because that's the kind I buy. I find the dish prepared this way quite richly flavored, and I cannot imagine that it suffers from not using some-fatted yogurt. Go with your gut on this one ... or with whatever's in your fridge. If using strained yogurt, take extra care to mix the dressing thoroughly into the couscous, as it will be thicker than if using regular yogurt.
  • On my hand-written recipe I noted that you can use currants or dried cranberries rather than raisins; I'm not sure if this is an Ina note or a Me note. I happen to hate currants, and the cranberries seem too sweet to me with the other ingredients, but I thought I should mention it.
  • The original recipe calls for red onion, which I find too severe in this dish, not to mention also a bit unkind to the breath and perhaps not desirable if you will be eating this at the office. But if you are a die-hard lover of red onion, or if you want to stick it to your boss, go right ahead and use it.

Curried couscous salad
Adapted from Ina Garten
Makes ~7 cups, so serves at least 7 as a side
Time: 10 minutes if you're really organized or 20-25 if you're scattered like I am

1 1/2 c. water
1 Tbsp. plus 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 c. couscous

1/4 c. plain yogurt
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. small-diced carrots
1/2 c. minced flat-leaf parsley
1/2 c. raisins
1/4 c. sliced almonds
2 scallions, thinly sliced (both green and white parts)
1/4 c. small-diced red onion, optional

1. Bring water and 1 Tbsp. oil to a boil. Meanwhile, place couscous in a large bowl or pot that has a lid (or which you can fully cover with a plate). When water and oil are boiling, pour over couscous. Cover tightly and allow to soak 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together remaining oil, yogurt, vinegar, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. When couscous is finished soaking, fluff with a fork, then pour dressing over couscous and stir to mix.

3. Add carrots, parsley, raisins, almonds, scallions and onion (if using). Stir to combine, and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment