Wednesday, February 4, 2009

PBH oatmeal


The mood that's dominated this week so far has been: wanting to snuggle on the couch, drink coffee, avoid the snow and leaving the house. And you'd think that because I'm unemployed, this would be an option. Alas, it is not. Partly, this is due to how I'm hardwired to do, move, think, act constantly and how I'm unable to laze about without feeling guilty. The other part is that I have obligations and to-dos outside the house (doctor's appointments, my scheduled workouts, dates with friends, or yesterday, needing to be out of the way of the cleaning lady), which means I don't get to heed the voice in my head asking for coziness.

Today will be another busy one (so busy, in fact, that by 7:30 I had literally planned my hour-by-hour schedule for the rest of the day), with lots of time spent away from home. But to make the most of what little time I do have indoors, and to give myself the fuel I need to complete the treadmill speedwork I've got planned, I made the big bowl of breakfast cozy pictured above. It's not rocket science, just my favorite (and most often consumed) sandwich turned into a bowl of hot cereal. Not as good as curling up on the couch and staying there all day, but it comes pretty close.

Oatmeal with peanut butter, banana and honey
1 c. water
1/8 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste (I use about half)
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. Ezekiel 4:9 organic sprouted whole grain cereal, original or cinnamon raisin (or Grape-Nuts, or skip this)
Half or whole banana
Peanut butter to taste (One caveat: I am a huge lover and eater of peanut butter, but I can't take more than a few teaspoons in my oats; it's just too rich.)
Honey to taste

Add water and salt to small saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil. Add oats, lower heat to medium and simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Ezekiel cereal, stir, and cook 2 minutes more. Cover saucepan, remove from heat, and let oatmeal stand 2-3 minutes. While it rests, slice banana into small circles or half moons. (I peel it, run my knife through it lengthwise, then slice on the horizontal to make small half moons. I like this size in my cereal because it's not too big for a spoonful.) Add banana to your bowl, with some peanut butter and honey. When oatmeal has rested, pour over remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste, and add more peanut butter or honey if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment