Sunday, January 18, 2009

things I've made since posting last

Earlier this week I took a stab at recreating Parc's beet salad, which I ate in blissful ignorance the night before losing my job. Like the restaurant's version, mine incuded frissee and roasted beets; lacking French bleu cheese, I crumbled some of the stilton leftover from our New Year's party. I dressed it a walnut vinaigrette from my kitchen bible, aka Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (Wiley, 2006), and threw some toasted walnuts on top for crunch.

For my protein, I prepared a piece of salmon (in the toaster oven, no less!) according to this recipe from Ina Garten, only without the entire rest of the platter or the nicoise dressing. I didn't want that dressing to compete with the flavors in the salad, and the marinade on the fish was flavorful but didn't overwhelm the other foods.

What a success! And it was all so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment